Moorhead Parks & Recreation and River Keepers have partnered to offer the following activities.
Canoe and Kayak Rentals
May 28-August 27
Tuesdays 6-8 pm
Saturdays 1-6 pm
Sundays 1-6 pm
All vessels are rented on a first come, first served basis. Vessel rental is for use at the Hjemkomst Landing only.
Group Paddling Rentals
To rent 5 or more vessels:
- Minimum of 2 hours or a $100 minimum rental fee.
- Reservations are not available during regularly scheduled rental hours (see above).
- Reservations must be made at least 7 business days in advance by calling 218.299.5296.
- All group paddling rentals are scheduled dependent on staff availability.
River Paddling Excursions
All skill levels are invited! Each session begins at 6 pm at the Hjemkomst landing with basics of canoeing and kayaking. Please arrive at 5:30 pm. Vessels are available on a first come, first served basis.
May 15: History of the Red River, hosted by the Historical and Cultural Society of Clay County
June 19: Animals and Habitats, hosted by Nicole Lee
July 17: History of the Red River, hosted by the Historical and Cultural Society of Clay County
August: Aviary Expedition, hosted by Fargo-Moorhead Audubon
The cost is $15 per person, for canoe/kayak rental OR $10 per person, if providing your own vessel
Children 5 years and under are free.
September 9 (Makeup date: September 10)
Participants MUST be comfortable in a canoe and willing to get wet and dirty. Contact Kim at email@example.com or 701.235.2895 for more information.
Adopt the Red
Volunteer in May-June and/or September-October to pick up litter along river corridors (10 river zones to adopt).
Adopt the Red Agreement
Adopt The Red Map
For more city beautification information, visit the Volunteer section of our website.
Cast your line on the Red! Enjoy shore fishing at Gooseberry Park, Viking Ship Park, Riverfront Park, Memorial Park, North Dam, River Oaks Park - South Dam, and M.B. Johnson Park (boat ramp available).
Gooseberry Park to Lindenwood Park
100 22nd Ave S
Davy/Memorial Park to Oak Grove Park
210 8th St S
Woodlawn Park to Dike East
400 Woodlawn Drive
River Corridor Plan
- Replacement of pedestrian bridge crossing the Red River between Memorial Park in Moorhead and Oak Grove Park in Fargo
- Bike Repair Stations at M.B. Johnson and Gooseberry Parks provided by Fargo-Moorhead Rotary PM Club.
- M.B. Johnson Park Projects: fish cleaning station, interpretive signs and bike/pedestrian bridge over Snakey Creek
- River Corridor Trails Map (subject to change)
- Urban Woods and Prairies Initiative - Audubon Dakota - Moorhead UW&PI Sites
- Gooseberry off-road trails courtesy of FM Trailbuilders
- Adopt the Red Volunteer Program
- Canoe and Kayak Rentals
- Collaboration with River Keepers, including: canoe/kayak rentals, paddling excursions, Storm Drain Marking Program, Red River Water Festival, adopt programs, community education and outreach events, tree plantings, and downtown and on-the-water litter pick up