Below is a list of news items for the City of Moorhead with the most recent items at the top. If you would like to see news for a certain category, you can select it from the the drop-down box labeled (All Categories). Any news older than 90 days is automatically archived and removed from this list.
You can also subscribe to our eNotifications to automatically receive emails as we post news to the site.
Moorhead Broke Ground Today on SE Main|20 St|21 St Underpass
3-year project will improve traffic safety, emergency response, and efficiency
Here are some facts on the underpass project:
- The existing intersection is 1 of about 20 diagonal at-grade railroad crossings in the state of Minnesota.
- This project is the largest transportation project in the history of Moorhead. The total cost from initial study & design to construction is $72.9M. Funding breakdown:
- State of MN $48.3M
- Federal $5.5M
- City of Moorhead $13.4M
- BNSF $5.7M
- 335,000 cubic yards of dirt will be removed for underpass, which will be 30 feet at deepest point.
- Project materials include 1,500 tons of steel.
- There will be 418,000 square feet of concrete paving and 19 miles of concrete piling.
- The railroad will stay operational during construction by means of “shoofly” (temporary track).
- The construction period will be approximately 3 years. SE Main|20|21 St intersection will be closed to most traffic movements years 1 and 2.
- The City's Consultants are SRF Consulting Group and Braun Intertec.
- The primary contractor is Ames Construction.
Individuals who may be impacted by the project are encouraged to sign up or update their City e-Notification preference to include the new category "20/21 St Underpass Construction." The City will be providing weekly updates on detours and other important project information.
Media contact: Lisa Bode 218.299.5372