In August 2022, JLG Architects released renderings showing what a possible new community center/regional library might look like. Please see the slideshow below.
On November 8, 2022, City of Moorhead voters will have the opportunity to approve a 0.5 percent local option sales tax to be used to fund this new Community Center/Regional Library in downtown Moorhead.
Here’s some background on how the City of Moorhead got to this exciting point:
As part of the City of Moorhead's strategic plan and with the support of the Moorhead City Council, Mayor Shelly Carlson appointed a Community Center/Regional Library Task Force in fall 2021 to work with the community to develop the vision for this project, including features/amenities and location. The Task Force developed some broad parameters for the project:
- A Community Center where people can gather and connect
- A Regional Library to meet current/future information needs
- A place where ideas and dreams can take shape
- A central, downtown location
In spring 2022, the Task Force and the City of Moorhead held several public listening sessions to learn what citizens wanted to see in the project. Top requests included:
- Gathering/collaborative space
- Walking track
- Indoor play area
- Meeting place for all ages
- Coworker/maker hands-on learning spaces
The feedback from these citizen-input sessions led to the creation of the renderings from JLG.
Want more information about the project?