Programs and Applications
The Moorhead Public Housing Agency (PHA) provides and manages housing programs for persons of low to moderate income in the City of Moorhead. Some housing units are operated by the PHA. The Bridges program provides housing subsidies to eligible individuals and households to assist with rent payments in apartments throughout the community. MPHA does not operate HUD’s Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 program. These programs have a waiting list.
- River View Heights and Sharp View Apartments: 1 & 2 bedroom units through the HUD Public Housing Program.
- Maple Court Townhomes: 2, 3 and 4 bedroom units through the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program.
- Moorhead Affordable Housing LLC: Applications are currently closed for our scattered site three bedroom units. These include duplexes and single family homes within the City of Moorhead.
- Bridges Program: State and locally funded rental assistance programs for people experiencing a serious mental illness.
These programs and services have a waiting list.
History and Authority
PHA was established June 26, 1986. The authorities and responsibilities are contained and described in:
- Laws of Minnesota, 1986, Chapter 341 – Enabling Act
- City Council Resolution #86-679 – Enabling Resolution
PHA, like the City of Moorhead, is an independent corporation and political subdivision created under the laws of Minnesota.
Governance & Executive Director
Commissioners of the Public Housing Agency Board are appointed by the Mayor and approved by the City Council. The City Manager recommends the appointment, removal, or suspension of the Executive Director with the concurrence of the City Council and the PHA Board of Commissioners. The Executive Director and staff members are employed directly by the PHA and are not City employees.
The PHA Board of Commissioners is tasked with supervising PHA programs, staff, and the federal and state revenues which fund the operation. The City’s tax levy does not fund the PHA operation.
Information about the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013 (VAWA) for public housing program.
By phone 218.299.5458
800 Second Avenue North
Moorhead, MN 56560
Open Monday – Friday 7:30 am – 4:00 pm