Moorhead has a variety of on-street parking restrictions, so if you are new to the community, please pay careful attention to signs and be aware that there may be only one sign per block. Also be aware that parking is prohibited one day each week during daytime hours for garbage collection, street maintenance, etc. Please review the parking map for the weekly parking restrictions in your neighborhood.
Parking is not allowed in the following areas:
- Within intersections
- On a crosswalk or sidewalk
- Beside a curb that is painted yellow, or where official “No Parking” signs are posted
- On the traffic side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a roadway, e.g. double-parking
- In front of a driveway
- Within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection
- Within 30 feet of any flashing light, stop sign, or traffic control signal located at the side of a public roadway
- Within 50 feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing
- Within 10 feet of a fire hydrant
- Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction, when parking there would obstruct traffic
- Within 5 feet of a public or private driveway
- Within 20 feet of a driveway entrance to a fire station and on the side of a street opposite the entrance to any fire station within 75 feet of said entrance when properly posted
- In a posted Snow Removal District during a Snow Removal Declaration
- No person shall park or leave an unattended vehicle upon any public street or roadway more than 24 hours in one location.
- No person shall park or leave an unattended vehicle upon any public street or roadway for a continuous period longer than 8 hours between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. on any one day. You must interrupt this 8 hour period by moving your vehicle a distance of at least one city block.
- No person shall park any vehicle between the hours of 3 am and 7 am on any day, in the "congested zone", as defined in the City Code, and which includes:
- Main Avenue from 14th Street to the Red River
- Center Avenue from 14th Street to the Red River
- Map of the congested zone, highlighted in red:
- No person shall park for longer than 15 minutes on the east and south sides of the United States post office.
- Three-hour Parking Zones: On-Street parking on certain streets close to Concordia College and Minnesota State University Moorhead will be limited to 3 hours at a time from 7 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, from August 15 to May 15 each year. Signs are posted on each block of streets with 3-hour parking and/or other applicable restrictions. Routine college and university traffic should be directed to campus parking lots whenever possible. The 3-hour zone may be expanded if the all-day campus traffic parking moves further into the neighborhood rather than onto campus parking lots.
- Residential Parking Permits in Three-hour Parking Zones: Property owners with homes on streets adjacent to the 3-hour zone may apply for a permit (one per property) to exempt one vehicle from the 3-hour parking restriction in the block adjacent to their home. All other vehicles must follow the parking requirements posted on the streets for the scheduled restriction periods. There is no cost for a residential parking permit for eligible residents, but a $25.00 replacement permit fee is charged for lost or stolen permits. Parking permit must be clearly displayed to avoid ticketing; no exceptions. The residential parking permit does not exempt the resident from any parking rules except the 3-hour time limit. Parking must still adhere to street maintenance schedules, snow removal declarations, distances from driveways, cross-walks, and other state and local parking laws. Annual permit renewal will be required. Only the property owner may apply for the permit. Use and sharing of the permit between tenants is the property owner's responsibility.
Prohibition on Parking in Yards
No person shall park in a front, side or rear yard in a residential zoning district except in accordance with the zoning regulations of the City of Moorhead.