Protect Yourself and Your Home
To stay safe during a flood event:
- Go to higher ground and avoid areas prone to flooding.
- Do not attempt to walk or drive across flowing streams or flooded roadways.
- Six inches of water can knock you off your feet.
- A car can be easily carried away by just two feet of water.
- Listen to a NOAA battery-operated radio for latest information.
- If your home is about to be flooded,
- Contact Moorhead Public Service at 218.299.5418 to have your power turned off.
- Contact Wastewater at 218.299.5386 to inform staff you plugged your sewer.
- Contact Xcel Energy at 1.800.895.2999 to shut off your gas or to report any gas leaks.
- If water rises on your home before you evacuate, go to the top floor, attic, or roof.
- If you come into contact with floodwater, wash your hands with soap and disinfected water.
- Do not use gas engines, such as generators, or charcoal fires indoors during power outages. Carbon monoxide exhaust buildup kills.