The Police Volunteers is a service group within the Police Department performing duties and providing services that supplement and enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
The Volunteer Program is made up of dedicated citizens who have a desire to assist the Police Department in continuing to make Moorhead a special and safe place to live and work. The program offers a variety of options in which volunteers can find satisfaction in assisting the police and the citizens of Moorhead.
In considering whether to become a Police Volunteer, please consider the ideas expressed below:
- You have an interest in the community and have the desire to help others. You have some awareness of what is drawing you to the law enforcement arena.
- You are sensitive to the special attitude required to provide customer service to citizens.
- You are open to listening to others who may be under stress, angry or frustrated.
- As you may be called on to work in a variety of areas and perform many different tasks, self-reliance, flexibility and adaptability are assets and a realistic awareness of your own strengths and weaknesses.
- You like working as part of a team and must be willing to support and be supported by other team members.
- You are willing to commit yourself to the training and to the volunteer responsibilities that follow, and to gaining an understanding of the standards and policies of the Police Department.
- You understand that as a Police Volunteer, staff will depend upon you to do your part.
The assignments will depend on the specific skills, abilities and interests of the volunteer and the needs of the department. Here are some examples of activities that volunteers may perform:
- Special event staffing
- Traffic control
- Restorative Justice panels
- Checking homes of residents on vacation
- Parking enforcement
- Monitoring handicap parking spaces and fire lanes
- Clerical and computer work
- Conducting traffic and other studies
Requirements for service in the Police Volunteers include the following:
- Completion of an application form (see below)
- Background check
- Attendance at a volunteer training program
- Commitment to serve a minimum of 10 hours per month
- Attendance at special training events and monthly volunteer meetings
- Performance of all assignments with courtesy, dignity, and in a manner which will bring honor to the department and the City of Moorhead
Apply to be a Police Volunteer
Apply online or download the Police Volunteer Program Application and either fax it to 218.299.6461 or return it to:
911 11 St N
Moorhead, MN 56560
For more information, contact our Community Policing Coordinator or call 218.299.5143.