Following are the requirements to become a Police Officer
- Associates/Technical degree in criminal justice (or related field) OR successful completion of the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Reciprocity Exam OR eligible to take the Minnesota POST Reciprocity Exam
- Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training License
- CPR/First Responder training
- Valid driver's license
For more information about how to become a Police Officer in the State of Minnesota, training needed to obtain a Peace Officer License view the Minnesota POST Board website.
Hiring Process and Requirements
If you meet the requirements of the Police Officer position, please apply
Steps in our hiring process after submitting an application include:
- Interview: In-person or virtual interview if not from the area.
- Background Investigation: Candidates are asked to complete a Background Packet; candidates moving forward after the interview have a full background investigation performed.
- Conditional Offer: Made to candidates selected to move forward to the next stage.
- Testing: Candidates who move forward after a successful background investigation are offered conditional employment based on passing:
- Physical fitness test
- Job function test and medical examination
- Psychological exam
- Drug and alcohol test
- Chief of Police Interview: This is conducted after testing is completed.
- Final Offer for employment and the beginning of a rewarding career with the Moorhead Police Department.